Stefon Diggs, Locker Room Leader

Stefon Diggs has become a household name in Minnesota since his walk-off touchdown against the New Orleans Saints in the 2017 divisional round. And with that notoriety comes a new responsibility: leadership.

If you’re going to be the face of the franchise, that means the rookies will look up to you. On top of being one of the best wide receivers in football, it’s time for Diggs to be a role model.

Mike Zimmer is a big fan of veterans stepping in and mentoring the younger players. “Us as coaches, we’re watching the whole group until we go back and watch the tape,” Zimmer said. From his perspective, player mentors are closer to the action, and can address issues as they arise. “We’ve been teaching some of these guys for five years now, so they can go in and maybe explain it a little bit differently.”

It’s an important role, and one that Diggs isn’t shying away from. Rookie Jeff Badet has looked up to Diggs as he makes the whirlwind transition from college to the pros.

Badet transitioned from Kentucky to Oklahoma, but described the transition from Oklahoma to the pros as ‘huge’. He’s still soaking it all in, mentioning, “the separation from college to the [NFL] is way different.” But Badet, and all the rookies, have a support system in Stefon Diggs.

”He’s a real fun guy who brings a lot of energy out.” Badet said. “He’s a guy who can bring you up, always talking to you, always trying to help you.”

Diggs doesn’t only dispense advice, he leads by example. Korey Robertson is a rookie out of Southern Miss who is trying to sneak onto the roster. Of Diggs, he said, “everything he does is on the next level, so everything he does, I watch.”

A recurring theme with everyone on the roster is that Diggs is always available, and willing to lend a word. “He tells me he’s been in my same position before,” Robertson added. “You know, just keep fighting and keep working.”

It’s not just rookies at his position that are taking on new info from Diggs. He can teach the rookies lining up across from him too. He’s not holding back against teammate Holton Hill, saying “At the end of the day, I’m trying to kill him” and “I’m pulling for him, I’m going to keep barbecuing him though.” Iron sharpens iron.

As for the advice Diggs has been giving his mentees? “Try not to be too big-eyed. It’s all going to come at you pretty fast.” Other nuggets included to “treat every day as special” and “don’t get ahead of yourself, stay in your books and just play ball at the end of the day.”

And of course, something that defines Diggs on and off the field:

“Be a baller.”

Thanks for reading!

You can follow me @LukeBraunNFL on Twitter, or follow @PurplePTSD or @vikingterritory for more Vikings content!

Share: