Which Vikings Players Should You Target in Week 2 NFL DFS?

The Minnesota Vikings did as expected in week one, holding serve at home in a win over the San Francisco 49ers.

After the Green Bay Packers pulled off a miracle and climbed out of a 20-0 this past week, the NFC North’s two best teams reside atop the division, much like everyone expected.

Immediately in week two, NFL fans get a stand alone leader.

Minnesota travels to Lambeau Field this week, eager to once again prove that they are still the class of the division. A banged up Aaron Rodgers may assist them in their plight, potentially making them one of the easier teams to back in week two NFL betting circles.

Because of that, they also may be a team worth targeting in fantasy football.

Whether you need help in the daily scene or season long formats, the Vikings are in position to help you. Green Bay’s defense still didn’t look very good last week, as Mitchell Trubisky and the Bears controlled the pace for much of the first three quarters.

Needless to say, if the Bears of all teams can make the Packers look beatable on defense, Minnesota should be in for a fun day. Here’s the top Vikings options to target in fantasy contests this week:

Kirk Cousins – Quarterback

Cousins didn’t light the world afire in week one, but he certainly could in week two. Green Bay posted middling numbers against Trubisky last week, but that wasn’t a tough matchup at all.

This week the Packers will truly be tested, as Cousins has long been a top-10 fantasy producer and has a slew of weapons at his disposal. It’s also worth noting that Green Bay struggled immensely (29th) against fantasy passers in 2017.

Cousins was ablaze the last time he faced the green and gold, dropping 375 yards and three scores on them in a crazy 42-24 win in D.C. Demanding that again this week feels like a bit much, but it certainly isn’t out of the question.

Green Bay’s defense is better on paper, but I can’t see them shutting Cousins down. He is a strong QB1 in season-long leagues and a solid try in NFL DFS contests.

Dalvin Cook – Running Back

You drafted Cook in the second or third round in most season-long fantasy football leagues, so after seeing him handle a big role in week one, there’s little reason to go away from him.

Cook looks fully recovered from last year’s knee injury, while a showdown with the Packers looks very good on paper. Jordan Howard and Tarik Cohen didn’t crush Green Bay last week, but they also didn’t struggle.

Considering Cook is a more explosive talent than those two and the Pack ranked just 27th against fantasy running backs in 2017, so I have to think he’s in for a solid day. I’d also point to a clearly increased presence in the passing game as reason to believe Cook has a featured role on his hands.

Cook can’t be sat in your regular leagues and looks like a solid value on most NFL DFS sites this week.

Stefon Diggs – Wide Receiver

If you like Cousins this week, it’s going to be awfully hard to not love his receivers as well. Green Bay did get better against the pass this offseason, specifically with how their new talent can track the ball and make plays on it.

I’m not sold on that stopping Diggs, though. He’s an elite route-runner and can rack up points as a possession guy or also score in the red-zone. Diggs has enjoyed playing Green Bay in the past and dropped a solid 5-60-1 line on them late last year.

While the Packers are slowly improving on defense, they don’t have anyone that can for sure stifle Diggs. He’s a lock for season long leagues and a very strong DFS play.

Adam Thielen – Wide Receiver

The last Vikings play I love in fantasy circles for week two is Thielen. He’s a little more explosive than Diggs and has a propensity to turn small catches into big gains.

Cousins looked his way often in week one (12 targets!) and that helped him produce a sweet 6-102-0 line. He’s another guy who has flat out torched the green and gold in the past, with Thielen piecing together a 9-96-0 line the first time he saw the Packers in 2017 and a disgusting 12-202-2 line in game two versus Green Bay in 2016.

Again, Green Bay’s defense is a bit different in 2018, but Thielen still has the edge here. He’s a lock for season long leagues and a great play in daily fantasy football, too.

Vikings to Avoid

If you feel like I’m pointing out obvious plays, that’s fine. Consider, at worst, this post to confirm the fact that Minnesota should be in for a great day on offense.

That optimism doesn’t necessarily stretch out to everyone on the Vikings roster, though. I’m not overly excited about the following options for week two:

Latavius Murray – Running Back
Kyle Rudolph – Tight End
Minnesota Defense

Murray isn’t a terrible play in terms of talent and matchup. However, it’s not impossible for the Vikings to be playing from behind in this game and they also clearly prefer Cook between the two.

He could vulture a touchdown and get some yards, but Murray just isn’t a safe play.

The same could actually go for Rudy, who can be a red-zone monster, but actually does not have a great matchup on paper. Green Bay stifled Trey Burton in week one and surprisingly gave up the 6th fewest fantasy points to the tight end position a year ago.

Injuries to their linebacking corps could change things, but considering they stopped Burton, I’m inclined to move away from Rudolph. He’s a fine play if you drafted him in season long leagues, but he’s not on my radar in daily fantasy games.

The same goes for the Vikings defense. While a stout unit, they drop in efficiency when they’re not at home and they do have to go into Lambeau and face Aaron Rodgers.

Minnesota wiped the floor with the Packers last year, but most of both meetings were without A-Rod. Rodgers is gimpy, but he still torched Chicago for three scores in one quarter in week one. I’d be shying away from the Vikes D here.

Still, the Vikings as a whole are in a fantastic spot. Until Green Bay proves they are markedly better defensively, you need to target them in all fantasy formats.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck in your fantasy contests in week two!

Share: