Vikings Draft Crush: Michigan DT Maurice Hurst

The NFL Draft is set up to give an advantage to teams that did poorly the previous year with the team with the worst regular season record picking first and the Super Bowl champions picking last. As NFC runner-ups, the Vikings have the 30th overall pick, which isn’t exactly an envious draft position. That being said, Vikings general manager Rick Spielman has done well finding talent later in the draft. Spielman drafted stars such as Stefon Diggs, Everson Griffen, Danielle Hunter, Eric Kendricks, and Dalvin Cook all in the second round or later. In addition, he has proven to be able to find talent in the bottom half of the first round with players like Harrison Smith, Xavier Rhodes, Teddy Bridgewater, and Sharrif Floyd. Viking fans must ask themselves, who can the Vikings pick at #30 to make an immediate impact during a Super Bowl window? My personal pick? Maurice Hurst.

Maurice Hurst is a three-technique defensive tackle from the University of Michigan. The Vikings had a promising young player at this position in Sharrif Floyd, but unfortunately he suffered complications in surgery that appear to be career-ending.   The Vikings need an explosive, agile defensive tackle to put next to the monster of a nose tackle that is Linval Joseph. Maurice Hurst can absolutely fill this role if he falls to #30, and many mock drafts have him around that draft position.

The prototype for a 3-tech DT in today’s NFL is quite clearly 2017 Defensive Player of the Year Aaron Donald of the Los Angeles Rams. Donald is strong enough to stack up 300-pound guards in the run game and agile enough to consistently create interior pressure in passing situations. This is a ridiculously rare combination, and it’s what makes Donald one of the best players in the league year after year. I’m not saying Maurice Hurst will be Aaron Donald, but I do believe that he can play a similar role in the Vikings defense. The main knock on Hurst in the draft process is the same one that caused Donald to drop to the thirteenth pick in 2014 – he’s a bit undersized. However, this isn’t as much of a concern for me as it is for some people.

The main difference between Aaron Donald and Maurice Hurst is their approach to pass rushing situations. Donald likes to use hesitation and quick steps to get offensive linemen on their heels, and then he uses his near-perfect hand techniques to sideswipe the less agile guards and centers. Hurst is similar, but he seems to prefer a “dip and rip” technique to compliment his agility. He starts with Everson Griffen-esque burst off of the line of scrimmage to get his matchups on their heels. Hurst then proceeds to get low and use his leverage to turn the hips of offensive linemen. This technique has proven to be effective for Hurst against both the run and the pass.

The reason that size, or lack thereof, is more of a concern for Hurst coming into the NFL than it was for Donald is that NFL guards will be able to more easily counter Hurst’s strategy with their freakish brute strength. However, Mike Zimmer is better than anyone at coming up with effective schemes to create interior pressure. That’s why I love Hurst. Coupled with Hunter and Griffen bending around the edge, Joseph demanding a double team, and Barr and Kendricks threatening the blitz, a player like Maurice Hurst could be the keystone to an unstoppable Vikings pass rush. This would allow Brian Robison to leave the interior and go back to his role as a rotational edge rusher (which I think he’s better at anyways).

Right now it seems like most analysts have Hurst pegged as the third best interior defensive lineman in this draft class behind Alabama’s Da’Ron Payne and Washington’s Vita Vea. This is another reason why Hurst has a good chance of falling to the Vikings. In terms of raw physical ability, these analysts might be right. That being said, Hurst has all the tools to flourish in the right system – and I think Mike Zimmer could absolutely get the most out of him. All in all, we won’t find out who the Vikings pick until April 26th, but this should be a very exciting draft process.

Share: