Sharrif Floyd Optimistic He’ll Play This Season, Calls Retirement a “Rumor” [Also, Bridgewater was Rehabbing Too!]

In yet another sign that God hates the Vikings, it was announced this off-season that Vikings defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd had suffered nerve damage during his knee surgery last season and that, essentially, his quadriceps muscle wasn’t firing correctly because of it. That means that the former first round pick could end up retiring despite just now entering his physical prime. So, it was encouraging to see Floyd out on the field yesterday in any capacity, even if he wasn’t doing any running or able to say if/when he’ll be able to return.

Now, Floyd may take issue with the intro to this piece as he said in an interview with Vikings writers yesterday that the notion that he may have to retire because of that nerve damage was simply a “Rumor”. He also sounded pretty optimistic that he will be able to return to the purple and gold in 2017, saying (According to ESPN.com, in a piece that also shows Teddy Bridgewater Rehabbing as well!):

“It might be a little too early to say, but I feel like I’m going to be there.”

Should Floyd be able to return in 2017 it would be a huge boon to the Vikings defense. While they did draft his potential replacement/insurance policy in April in Jaleel Johnson of Iowa, as the Vikings learned last season, replacing Floyd is much easier said than done. While he’s not the greatest against the run, he’s reached elite levels against the pass and considering the division that the Vikings reside in, he’ll be needed more than ever in 2017. So, it’s really encouraging to see him out on the field and talking about 2017 as if it’s more of an if than when situation. While one could chalk that up to optimism solely (Instead of realism), I highly doubt that doctors would allow him onto the field period if his injury was still up in the air. One can assume that he has a decent prognosis, as well, if he’s this encouraged by his results.

That means, to me, that Floyd will end up playing again sooner rather than later. That would change a lot when it comes to the defensive line and depth and would be a very welcome addition to a defense that really could’ve used his services in 2016. Sure, Sharmar Stephan filled in admirably during his absence last season, especially considering he was a seventh round draft pick, but Floyd is a major contributor on the defense and when he’s paired next to Linval Joseph, Everson Griffen and Danielle Hunter, they may be the top front four in the business. So, it’s really looking like everything is coming up ‘Vikings’ lately, which really makes me feel comfortable with my assessment that 2017 could very well be the year that the Vikings reach the promised land for the first time in my lifetime.

Share: