Niners at Vikings Game Preview: Starters’ Final Tune Up at The Vault

It seems like it has been awhile since the Vikings have played a game at U.S. Bank Stadium, but they return to The Vault on Sunday night to play the San Francisco 49ers in their third preseason game. In fact, the last time the Vikings played a home game, a couple protesters were hanging in the rafters while the Vikes dispatched the hapless Chicago Bears. Now the Purple faces the hapless Niners in the final tune up for the starters and there is still much to be gleaned from the game.

“Traditionally, it’s the game where you get the most work (typically you don’t play a ton in that fourth preseason game), so this is your last chance to go out there and get a lot accomplished,” quarterback Sam Bradford said. “I think it is important for us to go out there and play well so we have something to build off of going into week one.”

Perhaps the biggest question going into the game is who is going to be starting offensive line for Minnesota? The Vikings coaches have not quite settled on the starting five just yet, and last week two players who are presumably backups (tackle Rashod Hill and guard/center Nick Easton) started and played well. But the hope is that starting tackle Riley Reiff and guard Alex Boone can return. All indications are that Boone is raring to go.

“It’s going to be huge,” Boone said of the game. “We’re going against a good defense, new coordinators, new coaches, so guys are going to be ramped up. This is going to be a good sign of what’s to come, so hopefully we go out and do well.”

The offensive line played better in the second preseason game against the Seattle Seahawks last week than they did against the Buffalo Bills the previous week, so players such as Boone (who was out injured) and Reiff who has been injured since the opening of camp, have some things to show. But head coach Mike Zimmer noticed the improvement in the line over the week one, and he continues to see it in practice.

“The other day at practice, the offensive line came off the ball low, were physical, and I thought they did a good with a lot of those things,” Zimmer said.

Bradford was asked what he has seen from the rookie running back Dalvin Cook, who also had a better second preseason than his first. The excitement over the young tailback is only growing with each performance and players and fans alike are looking for that to continue against the Niners.

“He’s just really sharp. Mentally, for him to be able to come in and grasp everything that we have asked him to do and asked him to learn, I think that’s been one of the more impressive things about him,” Bradford said. “It’s not easy to come in and learn an offense and to be able to go out there and do your job on every play. When you’re young you’re thinking a lot, there’s a lot going on, sometimes the speed gets to you, but for him it’s been really seamless. It’s like we put a play in, we put a protection in, we put a scheme in and he’s got it. I think just his ability to grasp everything, not just the run game, but he’s really good in protection, which I think is really key for him to be out there first, second and third down—just all of that is what’s allowed him to step out there and be successful.”

With two preseason games remaining, certainly most of the starting positions are getting settled, but according to Zimmer, there are still plenty of decisions left to be made throughout the roster, particularly on the deep defensive line.

“There are several positions where are going to have some tough [decisions], and that’s why it is good to have the fourth preseason game,” Zimmer said. “We’ll get a chance to see [the players] in that game as well. This week will be a big week for a lot of these guys. Some of these young defensive linemen have looked good. Jaleel Johnson has had a couple good ball games. Ifeadi [Odenigbo] has done a nice job in some areas, [Tashawn] Bower, [Stephen] Weatherly, some of these guys, so they’re showing somethings that could be valuable for us down the road.”

The third preseason game is considered a “dress rehearsal” for the regular season, so expect the starters to jump out with some urgency and try to put their best foot forward, while the remainder of the roster looks to make a splash to win a roster spot. Winning is not the most important thing, nor is it the only thing, in this third preseason game, but after losing last week, the team will want to come away with a victory on their home field, even though the opposition isn’t the major focus in this game.

“I’ve never felt the need to really game plan the third game, we’ll just go out there and do what we do and react<” Zimmer said. “I think it’s good to see how the team reacts to scenarios that they are not prepared for. That’s kind of how we have done it since I’ve been here. We still have work to do on us, so, for us to take a week and work on San Francisco like we would in a regular season game is counter-productive to what we want to get done.”

Look for the Vikings, despite their goals in the game, to get back on the winning track in the final tune-up for the starters.

Minnesota-24, San Francisco-6

Editor’s Note: At practice on Wednesday, the Vikings announced the formation of the “Minnesota Vikings Foundation” to focus on children’s health and education. For years, the organization has operated the Vikings Children’s Fund and are now taking their activities to a new level with a more dedicated focus. It begins with the Wilf family and the Vikings organization making an initial $1 million investment, and they also are introducing a food truck to serve Minnesota children lacking access to adequate nutrition. Look for much more with the Minnesota Vikings Foundation to come in the very near future.

Share: