Mock Draft 2.0: Post Free-Agency

We’re officially three weeks into free agency and most of the major moves/signings have been made—which mean it’s time for an updated mock draft!

1. Cincinnati Bengals: QB Joe Burrow (LSU)
That's Joe”: LSU Releases Chapter 2 of Joe Burrow's Documentary ...
This pick isn’t going to change. Burrow to Cincy is destiny and the former Heisman Trophy winner is going to return to his home state of Ohio to play for the Bengals.

2. Washington Redskins: DE Chase Young (Ohio State)

Ohio State star Chase Young facing suspension, investigation ...
Chase Young is the undisputed top prospect in the 2020 Draft. The Redskins may pass on him and draft for an area of need such as Tackle or Corner—but they’d likely be crazy to do so. Carson Wentz, Dak Prescott, and Daniel Jones will be living in fear for years to come.

3. Detroit Lions: CB Jeffrey Okudah (Ohio State)

Projecting Ohio State CB Jeffrey Okudah's impact as an NFL player ...
The Lions brought in Desmond Trufant to make up for the loss of Darius Slay, but at 30 years of age, Trufant has likely seen his better days as a shutdown corner. In a division that features Aaron Rodgers and Kirk Cousins, the Lions will be looking for that next corner that they can count on to be the leader and pedestal of their secondary.

4. New York Giants: T Jedrick Wills (Alabama)

Jedrick Wills Jr. - Football - University of Alabama Athletics
Nate Solder will be playing his last season as a Giant in 2020 (for many reasons) and they’ll need to have a backup plan in place if they want Daniel Jones to keep progressing accordingly. Wills, in my opinion is the best overall offensive lineman in this class.

5. Miami Dolphins: QB Tua Tagovailoa (Alabama)

Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa will miss Arkansas game with ankle sprain
I don’t think i’ve seen a mock draft yet, that doesn’t have the Dolphins selecting a QB at #5. The real question is, which one? Some believe that the guy will be Justin Herbert. Personally—I believe that’d be a massive mistake. Tagovailoa is the better player. He’s the most accurate passer in the draft and in today’s NFL, a dual-threat QB likely gives you the best chance to win.

6. Los Angeles Chargers: QB Justin Herbert (Oregon)

Justin Herbert: NFL in sights as Oregon career winds down - Sports ...
I was very torn with this pick. Do the Chargers select a Tackle to preserve Tyrod Taylor? Or do they draft a rookie QB that will fire up the excitement in a fan base that needs it badly as they move into a new NFL stadium? The answer is pretty clear, really. Herbert has the desirable prototypical size that you look for in an NFL Quarterback and drafting him to learn for a year behind a seasoned veteran will do him some good.

7. Carolina Panthers: DL Derrick Brown (Auburn)

Most FREAKISH Athletic DT in College Football || Auburn DT Derrick ...
The Carolina Panthers are on a full-blown rebuild and they are going to look very different in 2020. Kawann Short is the only retained starter along the defensive line and they have yet to really add any additions to that spot via free agency. Enter-Derrick Brown. One of the best defensive line prospects coming out of school since Ndamukong Suh. In a division that features Drew Brees, Alvin Kamara, Matt Ryan, Todd Gurley, and now TOM BRADY, the Panthers will be looking to add someone who can get after it in both the run and passing game.

8. Arizona Cardinals: EDGE K’Lavon Chaisson (LSU)

Sack Guru” 🐯 || LSU LB K'Lavon Chaisson Highlights ᴴᴰ - YouTube
Two months ago I was calling a few draft analysts crazy for stating that Chaisson was going to be a top 10 pick. Now i’ve become a part of that bandwagon. The ceiling and traits are undeniable–Chaisson is raw, but his ability to win purely off of his athleticism in college is scary to think about. If his traits can be coached up in the pros—watch out.

9. Jacksonville Jaguars: LB Isaiah Simmons (Clemson)

Column: Clemson LB Isaiah Simmons would be wiser Chargers pick ...
The Jaguars look like they are #TankingforTrevor with the moves that they’ve made this offseason. Nearly every major piece from the 2017 AFC Championship defense is now gone and the Jags are in a full-blown rebuild. Isaiah Simmons is a top 5 talent in this draft, but because of his positional value he’ll likely fall a bit. The Jaguars get an athletic freak at #9.

10. Cleveland Browns: T Mekhi Becton (Louisville)

I would be downright SHOCKED if the Browns go anything other than offensive line at #10. This pick is crucial because it can trigger a chain-line of success and/or happiness. If Baker Mayfield isn’t kept clean in 2020, it will severely hurt his progression in year three.

And don’t forget about Odell Beckham Jr. Star wideouts like to be fed and after last season, OBJ must be starved. Baker didn’t have much time to throw last season and #13 paid for it. Mekhi Becton is a man amongst boys and the Browns are definitely looking for some new stability since Joe Thomas’ retirement.

11. New York Jets: T Tristan Wirfs (Iowa)

Tristan Wirfs - Football - University of Iowa Athletics
The Jets bolstered the frontline in free agency with the addition of Connor McGovern, but they are still left with a void at Left Tackle. Tristan Wirfs killed the combine and he’s the best remaining Offensive Lineman on the board. Sam Darnold, like many of the other QBs will not progress accordingly if you can’t keep him upright.

12. Las Vegas Raiders: WR CeeDee Lamb (Oklahoma)

CeeDee Lamb - 2019 - Football - University of Oklahoma
I’ve followed Mike Mayock (Raiders GM) for a long time, and if I know him like I think I know him, he’s in love with CeeDee Lamb. Derek Carr has lacked a go-to weapon since the departure of Amari Cooper and Mayock will surely be looking to fill that hole for Mr. Carr/and or Marcus Mariota, whom he brought over in free agency from Tennessee.

13. Indianapolis Colts: WR Jerry Jeudy (Alabama)

Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy Announces He Will Play in Citrus Bowl vs ...
Most people will have a hard time naming a wide receiver on the Colts’ roster that’s not named TY Hilton. They have a proven veteran presence at quarterback now (Philip Rivers) and the offensive line to keep him stable. What they are severely lacking in right now are playmakers. Jerry Jeudy is arguably the best route-runner to come out of school in the last decade and he’ll have no issue adjusting to the NFL in his first season.

14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: IDL Javon Kinlaw (South Carolina)

NFL combine: Javon Kinlaw, once homeless, still amazed by his path
The Bucs could go running back here, as it’s probably the only position on offense that they’ll likely have to address before the season kicks off, but the value here doesn’t make sense.

Javon Kinlaw is one of my favorite players in this draft and adding him to a defensive line full of first round picks (Ndamukong Suh and Vita Vea) is a nightmare scenario for opposing quarterbacks and running backs. His insane athleticism and upper-body strength are natural traits that can be molded into a deadly weapon for years to come.

15. Denver Broncos: WR Henry Ruggs III (Alabama)

Fastest WR in College Football 🔥🔥🔥 || Alabama WR Henry Ruggs ...
If you want to keep up with the Chiefs in the AFC West you better figure out a way to put points on the board—which is something the Broncos had a very hard time doing in 2019. Henry Ruggs is the fastest player in this years draft and his ability to score every time he touches the ball is undeniably intriguing for a team like the Broncos who are craving some playmaking ability to take some pressure off of Courtland Sutton and second-year quarterback Drew Lock.

16. Atlanta Falcons: CB CJ Henderson (Florida)

Florida Gators' CJ Henderson leaving school early, won't play in bowl
The Falcons are in a bit of trouble right now when it comes to their secondary. Desmond Trufant is gone and they don’t have a single reliable corner who has proven there worth in this league. When you face guys like Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and Michael Thomas twice a year you have no choice but to go best available corner at this spot.

17. Dallas Cowboys: DE AJ Epenesa (Iowa)

A.J. Epenesa - Football - University of Iowa Athletics
Pass rushers are always in a high-demand and this class isn’t incredibly deep in that specific category. With that in mind—take them while you can get them. The Cowboys lost Robert Quinn in free agency and don’t have a proven pass rusher in place across from Demarcus Lawrence. Epenesa makes sense for a number of reasons.

18. Miami Dolphins: OL Andrew Thomas (Georgia)

Andrew Thomas - 2019 - Football - University of Georgia Athletics
On paper, the Dolphins might have the worst offensive line in football. You invested in your mortgage by drafting Tagovailoa. Now it’s time to protect your investment. Andrew Thomas is the best player available at this point and he gives the Dolphins the flexibility to plug him in day one and start at both Tackle or Guard.

19. Las Vegas Raiders: CB Jeff Gladney (TCU)

2020 Chiefs Draft Prospect: CB Jeff Gladney - Full Press Coverage
The Raiders went offense with the first pick and will upgrade their defense with the second pick. Jeff Gladney is an alpha-dog and fits the narrative of a Raiders player perfectly. He’s instinctive, physical, fast, and checks all the boxes a coach is looking for in his top corner.

20. Jacksonville Jaguars: CB AJ Terrell (Clemson)

AJ Terrell, Clemson, Cornerback
Jalen Ramsey and AJ Bouye are both gone and free agent corner Darqueze Dennard recently backed out of his contract agreement with the Jags. Cornerback is a logical choice of selection here, whether it’s AJ Terrell, Kristian Fulton, or Trevon Diggs.

21. Philadelphia Eagles: WR Justin Jefferson (LSU)

2020 NFL Draft Prospect Profiles - Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU ...
Justin Jefferson is the hottest name in the draft right now after an outstanding combine performance. Both of Philly’s current starting wideouts are 30+ years old and it’s time to get younger and plan for the future. The Eagles have an incredibly well-rounded roster so drafting for a position of need here makes sense.

22. Minnesota Vikings: T Josh Jones (Houston)

Josh Jones - Football - University of Houston Athletics
Josh Jones is everything the Vikings are looking for in an Offensive Tackle. He’s very athletic and hits his targets well in space. There’s been some talk about the Vikings moving Riley Reiff to Left Guard which would allow Josh Jones to be your day one starter at Left Tackle. If you’re not comfortable starting him day one, you leave Reiff at Left Tackle and groom him to eventually be your future starter.

23. New England Patriots: LB Patrick Queen (LSU)

Mel Kiper Explains Why He's Projecting Patrick Queen to Ravens
Some might say Quarterback is the logical choice here, but based off what i’ve read the Patriots seem to really like Jarrett Stidham and may take their chances going forward with him as the starter in 2020. If that backfires? Well, then you have set yourself up nicely to have a shot at Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields in 2021.

Jamie Collins AND Kyle Van Noy both left for free agency and the Patriots are currently lacking at Linebacker. Patrick Queen is the best one in this class not named Isaiah Simmons. I have little doubt that Bill Belichick will turn him into a future Pro Bowler.

24. New Orleans Saints: QB Jordan Love (Utah State)

Where does ESPN's Mel Kiper have Utah State's Jordan Love landing ...
If the Saints didn’t sign Emmanuel Sanders in free agency, I would say the best available wideout would be the selection here, but since the Saints have the most well-rounded roster in the NFL they can afford to take a gamble on a quarterback to be Drew Brees’ apprentice for 1-2 years. This might be the best possible career scenario for Jordan Love.

25. Minnesota Vikings: WR Tee Higgins (Clemson)

Tee Higgins Stats, News, Bio | ESPN
6’4″ and 215 lbs. Drafting a receiver that can physically impose his will on defensive backs is a good place to start when trying to replace a wideout like Stefon Diggs. Higgins has incredible ball skills and his ability to play inside and out at that size is likely to be appealing to Gary Kubiak and Mike Zimmer.

26. Miami Dolphins: S Xavier McKinney (Alabama)

Alabama Safety Xavier McKinney Highlights 🐘 ᴴᴰ - YouTube
Xavier McKinney is (in my opinion) the best Safety in this years draft and the perfect replacement for Reshad Jones. His outstanding versatility allows him to play in any defensive scheme that you can think of. His football IQ is through the roof and Brian Flores is going to have a hard time passing him up with his final pick of the first round if he’s still available.

It would almost be as if Minkah Fitzpatrick never left.

27. Seattle Seahawks: DE Yetur Gross-Matos (Penn State)

Yetur Gross-Matos - Football - Penn State University Athletics
The Seahawks were near the bottom of the league in total pressures in 2019 and it’s yet to be determined if they’ll bring back Jadeveon Clowney or sign a free agent to help out—but as of right now it looks like they’ll still be in the market for a young pass rusher.

28. Baltimore Ravens: IOL Cesar Ruiz (Michigan)

2020 NFL Draft profile: Michigan Offensive Lineman Cesar Ruiz ...
“John! Hey, this is your brother Jim. You need some interior offensive line help, right? You’re going to love my guy Cesar!”

Probably a conversation the Harbaugh brothers have had already. If you’re not going to plug Ruiz in to be your new Center, then let him be your Marshal Yanda replacement. He’s tenacious and is athletic enough to play in a number of different schemes, including Baltimore’s run-heavy offense.

29. Tennessee Titans: IDL Ross Blacklock (TCU)

Ross Blacklock 2020 NFL Draft Profile
Jurrell Casey’s replacement is a lot like Jurrell Casey. Extremely athletic, consistently disruptive, and an offensive headache.

30. Green Bay Packers: LB Kenneth Murray (Oklahoma)

Oklahoma LB Kenneth Murray's talent stands out as much as his story
The Packers could add another receiver here but Kenneth Murray might be the best available player at #30. Blake Martinez is gone and adding a Linebacker that runs a 4.52-40 with an insane tackle radius is a great way to replace high tackle production.

31. San Francisco 49ers: WR Laviska Shenault Jr. (Colorado)

2020 NFL Draft Prospect Profile - Laviska Shenault Jr., WR ...
Another toy for Kyle Shanahan. Laviska Shenault would allow you to fill the void you lost on receiver production and gives you the ability to put in place a whole new package of plays because of his ability to make plays with ball-in-hand.

32. Kansas City Chiefs: RB D’Andre Swift (Georgia)

The best (and first) running back in the draft comes off the board to close out round 1. Damien Williams is a great player but not a true #1 option. An offense that features Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill, and D’Andre Swift is downright terrifying.

Follow me on Twitter at —> @Purple_Post.

Share: