Fantasy Tuesdays: An Introduction

I know what you’re wondering, who are you and why should I take a single piece of advice from you?

Well to put it very simply I’m someone who spends way too much time staring at stats, videos, breakdowns and tendencies of not only our beloved Vikings but of players around the league. You know how you have your casual workplace fantasy football league and there’s always that one guy who sits in the corner and you’ve never really seen him actually doing his job? Yeah, I’m that guy.

Now maybe I got your attention, maybe you’re still wondering that “okay so what, anyone can say that they live fantasy football, have you ever gotten results?”

Thank you for asking, this will be my fifth year of playing fantasy football, in the four years prior I’ve been league champion twice with an impressive overall record (see the proof below) along with an undefeated season. 

Like I said, I’m THAT guy.

With my resume out of the way my reasons for being here is simple, I love fantasy football and I love chatting with people who do. I will be here weekly with my tips and advice (starts/sits/waivers) for anyone who feels they need some help finally beating Tom from accounting. Furthermore the other writers and I wrapped up our own fantasy league draft this last weekend and I’d love to bring the ride of my fantasy league to the public, kind of a documentary of sorts. I’ll share my team with you and what I’m thinking strategy wise every week, explaining moves I’m going to make and my thought process throughout.

Without further ado, the team so lovingly named 38-7.

Here’s our locked in starting lineup for week one barring anything crazy happening between now and Sunday.

Of course I don’t want to leave you here without any advice as we head into the new season:

LATE ROUND LOCKS/WAIVER WIRE WONDERS

Whether you’re squeezing in a last minute draft or you’re looking at your team and think you need a little boost these players should add a little extra firepower and you don’t want to miss out on them.

QB: Derek Carr

The younger Carr has a pretty bad 57% ownage according to Yahoo. Now I can understand why when you look at all the ways he’s regressed since that fantastic season he turned in two years ago a long with what might become a nagging back issue, but I’d also argue he will bounce back to form and it’s all because one man. Jon Gruden is now the coach of the Oakland Raiders.

“Mike, Jon Gruden is insane, he’s totally stuck in his old ways where his offenses were not very good.”

This is only somewhat true and let me lay some stats on you here:

-Jon Gruden has never had a team that didn’t finish top 10 in passing attempts: Don’t believe me? Look it up. It has not mattered whether it was Brad Johnson, Jeff Garcia or Bruce Gradkowski, Gruden throws the ball… a lot.

-Jon Gruden has never NOT had a 1000 yard receiver: Free tip on Amari Cooper here.

-Derek Carr is hands down the most talented QB Gruden has ever had as a head coach.

-Draft or pick up Derek Carr!

RB: Peyton Barber

I know Ronald Jones is a sexy rookie option but have you actually looked at how he’s performed this preseason? 28 carries for 22 yard, YIKES. Peyton Barber has solidified himself as the starting running back in Tampa and while yes he’s not the most pretty runner he drags it out and gets the job done. With an ADP of 108 it’s hard to argue with the value of a starting running back in the double digit rounds. In less informed leagues you may even be able to waiver wire him. RB Shortage is real and don’t find yourself with out a number one running back on the bench.

WR: Tyler Lockett

Tyler Lockett just inked a fresh new deal that many people would probably say is an overpay. Lets think about this though, do you pay money to players you don’t see yourself using? The Seahawks have lost Paul Richardson and Jimmy Graham and now have a lot of targets that need to be re-delegated. With Wilson probably running for his life behind another poor offensive line why won’t/can’t it be Lockett getting targets in the flats. The speedy receiver has made his living returning the ball and could be a YAC terror to opposing defenses. Not to mention with all this Doug Baldwins health is still very much up in the air and Lockett could find himself shortly as the only target.

TE: Benjamin Watson

The 37 year old is still very much alive and kicking. All reports out of New Orleans is Watson has been extremely impressive. This is still a deep sleeper though, the Saints have a WEALTH of people to give targets too but Watson could be poised for a late career blowout as hall of famer Drew Brees’s checkdown and safety valve. I would not be surprised at all to see Watson come in and put up 600/6 which if you find yourself very thin at TE, nothing to scoff at.

Until next week, happy drafting and good luck.

Follow me on Twitter @MikeDorry1

Share: