Can Jordan Taylor Grab a Roster Spot?

Jordan Taylor - Vikings.com

With the established duo of Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs already starting at wide receiver, the Minnesota Vikings are hoping to expand the group to a trio of elite talent this year. Jordan Taylor was added earlier this offseason, but can the ex-Bronco find a long-term home in Minnesota?

There’s plenty of reason to think he can. Despite tallying 2,588 yards over four years at Rice University, Taylor went undrafted, but he was quickly picked up by the Denver Broncos after the 2015 NFL Draft. With the Broncos already owning a full stable of established receivers like Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders, he saw little playing time in the Mile High City. In his three years in Denver, the 6’5” receiver was only targeted 45 times.

Production aside, Taylor was a favorite amongst both fans and teammates in Denver.  During his rookie season out west, Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning struggled with injuries in the months leading up to the postseason.Taylor spent long hours before and after practice running routes for Manning, who needed a receiver to work with during his rehab. During this time, the two developed a bond on and off the gridiron. “I don’t think I could have gotten through my rehab and gotten back if it had not been for him. I am very grateful for his help.” said Manning. Peyton thanked Taylor by buying him his first suit, and he frequently raved about the young receiver he nicknamed “Sunshine”. Manning went on to win his second Super Bowl that year.

Taylor’s experience in Denver should help his chances, but two hip surgeries kept him sidelined in 2018, and he’ll have to stay injury free if he wants to stick with the Vikings. Fortunately, he already has an advocate in Minnesota. Former Broncos head coach Gary Kubiak joined Minnesota’s staff a few months ago, and he undoubtedly helped bring Taylor to the north. If he can stay healthy, the fifth-year receiver will face some stiff competition behind Diggs and Thielen – check out my recent podcast on his counterparts HERE. Nonetheless, I’m expecting Taylor to beat the injury bug and shine with the Vikings.

For more Minnesota Vikings lore, check out my personal blog PurpleReignNews.com, or follow me on Instagram or Twitter! @PurpleReignNews

Share: