An Interview with a Packers Fan…

Green Bay Packers wide receiver Antonio Freeman, left, manages to grab a pass while being covered by Minnesota Vikings' Cris Dishman during overtime Monday, Nov. 6, 2000, in Green Bay, Wis. Brett Favre launched the deep pass to Freeman, who slipped on the wet grass as cornerback Dishman deflected the ball at the 20-yard line. The ball bounced off the back of Freeman's left shoulder as he rolled over, and he tipped it into his chest with his right hand before it hit the ground. Freeman grabbed the ball, jumped up, juked safety Robert Griffith and rumbled into the end zone with the game-winninng touchdown. (John Doman / Pioneer Press)

Sometimes I like to step outside of the Vikings sites/message boards/subs to see what other people think about the Vikings as while there are some people who are a bit more objective in their writing than I am, we all have our biases as we all love this team. So, I always find it interesting to hear what people that root for other teams (or write about the NFL as a whole) think about the Vikings as it can help me see things from a different perspective (or really just mostly irritate me as I feel like the team is constantly being overlooked or underrated). However, as I mention fairly regularly (on The purpleJOURNAL Podcast) that I … Fairly regularly interact with a couple Packers fans and considering the fact that the Vikings are facing the Packers tomorrow night I thought that it’d be fun to ask one of the Packers fans I talk to the most a few questions about the Packers, the Vikings, and really just how he sleeps at night as a fan of the gold and green.

So, here’s my short interview with my buddy Calvin, who lives in Minnesota but is a die-hard Packers fan.

1. Outside of Aaron Rodgers’ injury, what do you think went wrong this season?

Our defense. It’s not good when your cornerbacks cant stop anyone. However, there is some hope (for next year). The two rookies (King and Josh Jones) have potential. I saw a lot of good things.

2. What are your thoughts on next season? Do you think the window is closing (or closed) or do you think they’re just a player or two away from contending?

The window is not closing not one bit. if A-Rod would have not been hurt I really know the team would of been in the playoffs. if they can fix our defense our offense is a running back away from being GREAT.

3. With Ted Thompson being so anti-Free Agency, is it hard to even look forward to next season (considering you need to rebuild (a bit) and you’re essentially ignoring one of the main ways to do just that?)

Yea, it’s not hard it’s just like… Okay, who’s he not going to get ? We will pick up one to three people and maybe one will be a known name. The others are always people that are going to be depth players. So yes, Thompson does try to just build the team through the draft. But how often do you ever have someone that is right out of college that can come in and really contribute, especially on defense. The NFL, more than any other sport, is a man’s game not a little boys game, so you need to develop them boys and that takes time.

4. Do you think that the Packers/Vikings rivalry is bigger than the Packers/Bears (or Packers Fans/Books)?

I mean the Bears/Pack rivalry is full of history and there have been a lot off great games… But I do think, to me, the Vikings/Packers games mean a lot more. Growing up in Minnesota, I got a ton of crap being a Vikings fan as a kid and even now my wife and her family are huge Vikings fans (my own dad is as well!). So, it just depends on who you ask. I like both teams vs. The Pack, so really it’s a toss up.

5. What are your honest thoughts about the Vikings team this year? Their chances to do damage in the playoffs?

Putting my feelings aside now… The Vikings defense is really good. The players on D, individually, are on top of their assignments and they don’t go out of their way or attempt to do too much as each player does/focuses on their own job which is something I noticed as someone who played (mic) linebacker and defensive line my whole life. They are also good at stopping the run and especially at getting to the QB as well. They haven’t really allowed a lot of 100-yard rushers this season and that’ll really be important in the playoffs. So, I see them going far, really just as long as Keenum keeps that offense going. If he comes crashing back down to earth the Vikings are going to lose, but considering their chance of playing all of their playoff games at home, I really don’t see that happening.

6. Outside of the Pack. Who do you think is the best team in the NFC? NFL? Why?

In the NFC, I believe that the Vikings are the best team as they are the most complete team in terms of their offense and defense. The Eagles really have no chance now that Wentz (who is a great QB) is done. In the NFL, though, it’s the Pats. As hard as it is for me to say this, Belichick and Brady always have a chance to win and they do it with a ton of nobodies on their roster! It’s crazy to see a team that basically just puts anyone, anywhere, and if someone gets hurt they just look at the next no-name player and put him out there. It’s amazing to see that, especially this season, with the number of injuries that have basically just ended teams’ seasons. I really don’t get how they do it, but I guess that’s why they’re in the AFC championship every damn year!

7. It seems like there’s a decent contingent of Packers fans that are really anti-McCarthy. What are your thoughts on him as a coach and the chances that he returns next season?

I believe that Mike is a good coach. He and Rodgers are on the same page. That having been said, I do think that his play calling can be too conservative and I also wish he wouldn’t change the way he calls plays when the Pack has the lead. He doesn’t know how to keep their foot on the neck of their opponent. But, he will be back next year. However, Dom Capers (the defensive coordinator) and/or Ted Thompson (the GM) need to go. Mark Murphy needs to be a CEO and needs to make some changes and that starts with him firing their asses!

8. Favre vs. Rodgers. Who is the better QB? Why?

Brett is in a class of his own. To me… You really can’t compare them. Favre… That man made me love football! So you can’t top that! Sure, sometimes you’d be like “Why did you throw that?!?” but other times you’d be amazed that he’d be able to make the throws he did make. With Favre you never knew who you were going to get, the man who took crazy chances or the one who comes out and lights you up. Rodgers is just as good as he doesn’t turn the ball over (he’s the only QB in NFL history with a 4:1 TD to INT ratio over the course of his career). That stat right there shows you that he’s smart. He even said one time that what Favre did to the coaching staff (in terms of driving them crazy) with his fastballs almost gave them/him a heart attack. So he learned from that and just takes care of the ball better.

9. How do you sleep at night?

Considering how things are going this year… I don’t sleep that well! It’s been rough.

10. Did you genuinely think that that hit by Anthony Barr was cheap or illegal?

No. I don’t. I mean, before all the rule changes to protect QB’s they used to get his a lot harder than that all the time. Now, as a fan of the Packers I was pissed at the time and thought that he could’ve not drove him into the ground a bit, but that’s football.

11. Why are you a Packers fan? What is your favorite memory of the Vikings/Packers rivalry?

Watching Brett Favre made me a Packers fan. That’s what got me into it. The first game I really remember was the Super Bowl vs. The Patriots. After that game I watched that team as much as I could. I mean half of my family is from Wisconsin, but Favre… That man made me have so much fun watching every game. Every Vikings/Packers game is good and I remember the Moss years also. The Monday Night game when Antonio Freeman caught that ball off his back in the rain and Chris Dishman stopping and letting him walk into the end-zone… LOL too funny.

12. How did you feel when the Vikings signed Favre?

When the Packers did that to Favre I was like, damn man. That first year or two I was “Who the heck is this dude Aaron Rodgers?!?”. So when the news was constantly covering Favre and he took that flight to Minneapolis I was like ohh, crap. But, I also was happy because I got to watch him every Sunday (because at the time I wasn’t able to watch every Packers game as they weren’t on TV in Minnesota). So, it was nice to see him but seeing him in purple and gold was really hard to get my head around.

13. How do you feel about the rest of the NFC North? Bears? Lions?
Man… I hate the Bears and the Lions.

Share: