A Now Depressed Vikings Fan Watches the Championship Games

Cowboys are out, Saints are in. My only comfort is the Eagles are out. Now I know literally every Vikings fan I’ve spoken to at work, with friends, online and amongst the writing staff would have rather the Eagles won. So enjoy your little victory. I’m sticking to my promise, the Saints knocked the Eagles out i’m supporting the Saints here on out.

It’s not a happy feeling. No jubilation here. “depressed resignation” is about where I would put my mood going into championship weekend. Am I excited for the new guy versus the veteran matchup that will be Mahomes versus Brady? Nope. Do I care we could possibly have Brees versus Brady Super Bowl just one game away? Not even a little. Ideally I would push for the Chiefs and Rams to win this weekend and at least get some new action this superbowl, but I’m not even bothered.

Because the Saints won.

Yes, the team I picked. Yep, even the team I wanted to win. Here’s the thing, I did privately hope the Cowboys would win. A Cowboys versus Saints championship game I could get fired up on, even if I have to support the Saints. But the Cowboys lost, as did any happiness I have this weekend. Patriots versus Chiefs will be a QB shootout I do not think KC is up for. As much as I like the Rams and think their team is talented, there is no way they are beating the Saints.

So we have Brees versus Brady for the Superbowl. Two often great teams, one on the tail end of a two decade dynasty, going at it. I should be thrilled. I’m not even mad, I am just…really over the playoffs right now.

That is terrible. I am a football fan and even if my team is not in the playoffs I should be excited about the games. These are the best teams this year, the hottest teams, throwing down in do or die, go home or live in NFL history epic games. And I am just thinking that would be a good night to go to bed early.

The Chiefs will not beat the Patriots. The Rams will not stop the Saints. Tom Brady will do what he has done so many times before and I don’t think the Saints have enough gas to stop him.

This is the third article covering the playoffs as a grieving Vikings fan. My first post I was in denial over Wild Card weekend seeing how the Bears had just knocked the Vikings out. Covering the divisional round I was angry the Eagles advanced and made my deal with the Saints. It is my hope that by next week I accept how the playoffs played out and can enjoy the Super Bowl. 

Please subscribe to our Patreon to get exclusive content and perks.

Share: